Friday 5 August 2022

Adventures in replays continue...

Following the F1 as any self-respecting motorsport fan should, my friend and I like to enjoy the same track that's being raced in one of the plethora of games that we own.

And so it passed that we raced Hungary in ACC, spoiler alert - the replay below isn't that.

But it's worth mentioning as ACC is the very best and worst game all at the same time...

The best bits...

  • Amazing handling and immersion
  • Easy tuning really, compared to many other games
  • Graphics are stunning
  • The online community is alive and well and quite active
  • Fully licensed cars
And the worst bits are all the same...
  • Handling that is on point, but my word it's picky
  • How hard, really, how hard would it be to do the fuel/lap thing in-game as a predicted laps value?
  • Graphics you need to borrow something from NASA to fully maximize
  • The online community is full of psychopaths
  • Cars are real mmkay... which means some are just faster than others, no matter what.

So it's a frustrating game to play online. For a long time I took the game seriously, played it, did the tuning and ran races, constantly getting upset by no mark torpedo driver who felt your car should be used as a breaking point. I left the game alone for a long time.

But last weekend (or so) we were talking about it and thought we may as well get back into racing there, and I'll confess I have a passion for Porsche Cup racing - and in that the game has the best content.

In preparation for a race at Hungary, which was upcoming, I decided to fire up ACC, but rather than race the proletariat I decided to race the AI, ranking scores be damned! - for those never playing this game, if someone punts you, you lose safety ratings or something. Only an issue if you want to move out of banger racing and into something more civilised. 

The choice, the new cup car at Donnington, a marvelous combination in anyone's eyes I think you'll agree.

As is the norm, recording HDR to youtube involves everything going crazy dark, however, as I realise now, I race ACC at "nearby nuclear strike" levels of brightness. Meh.

Behold...



And because you've read this far, and not really other reason, here's my current lock screen (you'll have read the previous post in which I talk about Brands)...



No comments: